Using Ethereal - Starting A Capture Session
Originally written by
- In order to use Ethereal - we need to become the little canary (i.e. have
the root password).
- Once the GUI opens, we go to the 'Capture' window, and click 'Start'.
- In the dialog-box, we:
- choose the network interface to listen on,
- disable 'promiscuous mode' (for better performance),
- Insert a proper filter (e.g. 'port 25 and host mail.actcom.co.il'
to see traffic our Linux exchanges with this mail server),
- Mark (or not) the 'update list of packets in real time' and
- Click 'Ok' to start capturing traffic.