Little Alice joins the (page-cached) Caucus race
Originally written by
- Little Alice is fresh and wet - she needs to dry before going on.
- In page-cache-speak, Little Alice is too new to be sent to disk - perhaps
- some of her friends will join soon.
- (these friends could be new writes that will over-write Little Alice,
- or new writes adjacent to Little Alice,
- or new reads that will want to query Little Alice's opinions).
- pdflush is a kernel thread that decides when to push Little Alice
down to the block device.
- Memory pressure could also cause that to happen - if we're low on RAM,
every cached item is a candidate for a flush.
- for info on pdflush-related tuneables:
G. Smiths's "The Linux Page Cache and pdflush"