SSD and Price fights - Data Tiering
Originally written by
- Another method to fight the price - is using data tiering.
- In this mode - you'll build a single system with both medias,
- and make it automatically move data from SSD storage to HDD storage, when
it is less used.
- The problems:
- Sometimes the raw data is too large - if you have a single DB with
random access patterns - how will you split it evenly?
- Even with a clear "active-set", moving the data on demand is not
practical, as it takes a lot of time to move large quantities.
- A partial relief - using manual tiering - let the user decide which
LUN contains critical production data, and which contains less