Data Need - ILM
Originally written by
- If we could store all data on fast disks all the time - life would be
- Unfortunately, this is not economically viable - so we need to move
less needed data into cheaper (and slower) storage.
- Thus a term was coined - ILM - Information Life-cycle Management.
- There are two things normally done here:
- Manually moving data to slower storage (e.g. backup and delete
from main storage).
- Automatic tiering - storage systems move data from expensive disks to
cheaper disks based on LRU information.