File Access Permissions - Who may access?
Originally written by
- Access Permissions are split into 3: for the User-owner, the Group-owner
and for "others".
- If the User accessing the file is the User-owner of the file, only the
"User-owner" permissions are checked.
- Thus, a file with permissions for 'others' but no permissions for
'User-owner' - won't allow the User-owner to access it...
- ...But as we said, the User-owner may always change the permissions of
the file, so she can give herself access to the file, and then
access the file.
- A similar check is performed if the User accessing the file, belongs to
the Group-owner of the file (but is not the User-owner of the file).