[Haifux] "Windows-Free" laptops in Haifa

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Sun Feb 8 11:02:03 MSK 2009

On Sun, Feb 08, 2009 at 09:52:47AM +0200, Dan Shimshoni wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> Reminder:
> On 3.12.08, we heard about Zvi Devir and his "Successful Windows Vista
> refund" - see:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/haifux@haifux.org/msg03372.html
>
> And later, there was a lecture in Haifux by Zvi Devir about it:
> see:  http://www.mail-archive.com/haifux@haifux.org/msg03451.html
>
> And now what ?
>
> I went last week to two stores in Haifa area, of very large and
> country-wide computer network stores;
> I do not want to mention names here.
>
> I asked about some models of laptops (Lenovo and others) ; they told
> me that they are not
> selling these models of laptops without Windows Vista, and that "it is
> everywhere thus".
> When I told  them about Zvi Devir and his case, they laughed. It did not
> interest them, and they said that they are not going to change anything
> in this policy.

Cheaper Dell models in Israel seem to be distributed with FreeDOS as an
OS.

Some Acer laptops are distributed with some Linux distribution (Linpus.
Yeah, a distro iwth such a name really exists).

Not sure about others. Best of luck if you go for a more expensive
model.

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | tzafrir at jabber.org | VIM is
tzafrir at cohens.org.il |                    |  best