[Haifux] Reminder: Pizzas and Sodas on Thursday (tomorrow)

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 14:15:02 MSK 2009

>> Pizza, soda, but what about _girls_?
>
> It is exactly this approach, of listing girls together with other "things
> which draw people to come", which makes a woman feel she cannot be "one of
> the guys" first, or "one of the professionals", but rather a sexual object
> first. This approach stems from the implicit assumption that people are
> male[*].

I apologize, Orna. I actually think that a woman can be "one of the
guys" and there are quite a few girls that do that better than myself!
I retract the rude statement.

> See sections 3.7 and 3.9 of the Encourage Women in Linux Howto:
>
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Encourage-Women-Linux-HOWTO/x168.html

I cannot believe that exists! I will read it. Is there a Hebrew version?

> Most of the recommendations  there is good for newbies, no matter what
> gender, but some sections, especially these two, refer precisely to your
> approach.

I will make an effort to not write such manner on the mailing list.
You are correct, it is out of place. Many things can be said in person
and understood to be a joke, but in type that is not possible. I will
try to consider the medium when expressing myself, that is a good
lesson to learn no only for Linux mailing lists, but for life in
general.

So, er, how was the pizza?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü