[Haifux] Kernel oops, so what?

Muli Ben-Yehuda muli at il.ibm.com
Sat Jan 16 09:56:30 MSK 2010

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 04:27:34PM +0200, Eli Billauer wrote:

> So, should I just take it cool and wait for a new kernel with this
> fixed, ignoring these messages?
>
> Just for the heck of it, the relevant part from /var/log/messages
> follows. I am running on a new Gigabyte motherboard. I don't expect
> anyone to dissect this. I mean, a report has been submitted.
>

>    Eli
>

> ----- log follows, for the fun -----
>

> Jan 15 14:45:17 test kernel: WARNING: at arch/x86/kernel/hpet.c:390
> hpet_next_event+0x5c/0x81() (Not tainted)

Given that this is just a warning and is not fatal, I would either
debug it or ignore it. Generally the kernel will warn when something
unexpected happens, but will then continue limping merrily along.

Cheers,
Muli
--
Muli Ben-Yehuda | muli at il.ibm.com | +972-4-8281080
Manager, Virtualization and Systems Architecture