[Haifux] Running 32 bit applications (Firefox?) on 64 bit machines

Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda ladypine at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 22:51:48 MSD 2011

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 6:40 PM, Eli Billauer <eli at billauer.co.il> wrote:

> Thank you all for your answers.
>
> I suppose the conclusion is that using 32 bits for application is a nice
> workaround for applications that cause trouble as 64 bits, unless it's
> really computation intensive (simulations etc.). Maintaining the necessary
> 32 bit libraries is a not fun, but nothing compared to waiting for this and
> that binary plugin to work correctly.
>
> Since the performance issue was mentioned more than once, I'll say that my
> hunch is that except for real number crunchers (finite elements simulations,
> video encoding and stuff Orna plays around with) most applications are
> limited by data starvation (cache misses), so the extra registers allowed
> for in x86_64 aren't necessary making any real difference. In particular
> when it comes to browsers, word processors, maybe even video rendering and
> compilation. But this is really just a hunch.

I forgot to mention that sometimes, on really funny occasions, you get a
performance penalty from using the 64bit code. For example, when you take a
number close to 1 (1.00000001) to a power. You will get absolutely stuck
with the 64bit code.

So 32 bit for Firefox it is. As for the rest, well, who cares, as long as it
> works.
>
>   Eli
>
> --
> Web: http://www.billauer.co.il