[Haifux] Mirroring Fedora repositories for rainy days

Nadav Har'El nyh at math.technion.ac.il
Thu Jan 13 11:41:38 MSK 2011

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011, Eli Billauer wrote about "[Haifux] Mirroring Fedora repositories for rainy days":
> I'm running Fedora 12, and since I don't intend to upgrade, I thought I
> should make a copy of the yum repositories, just so I will be able to
> install whatever I'll need easily even in the longer term future. All
> examples I've seen talk about saving internet bandwidth, not endurance
> after phasing out.

Unless you're 100% sure that you really want to do this, I don't think you
need to do this at all.

If you look at
http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-12&arch=i386
you'll see that dozens of mirrors still keep Fedora 12. If you look
further back, Fedora 7 still has 5 mirrors, and Fedora Core 2 (more than
6 years old) still has 4 mirrors.

For example,

	http://archive.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/

appear to be archiving all Fedora versions that ever existed, since 2003.

Note, by the way, that you don't need to do anything special to your
yum configuration to use these mirrors. The standard yum configuration
used the aforementioned mirrorlist link to find all the available mirrors
for your release.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |     Thursday, Jan 13 2011, 8 Shevat 5771