[Haifux] lecture (series) proposal: the story of alice and bob - the I/O requests

choo at actcom.co.il choo at actcom.co.il
Fri Jan 28 03:59:27 MSK 2011

In this story, we'll follow the life story of alice - a
file-systemized I/O request, and bob - a raw-device I/O
request, from their birth, until they reach heaven (the disk
or the USB camera or...).

In addition, we will cover some system parameters that affect
I/O requests, the buffer cache, disk I/O schedulers and tools
used to track and count I/O (including - why is process-based
I/O accounting so tricky).

i didn't even write down the table of contents yet (with my
poor PC's untimely crippledness) - but i imagine 2 meetings
may be needed to cover this.

any takers? anyone already has all the needed material (lack
of such material was the initial trigger for this proposal)?

--guy