[Haifux] [HAIFUX LECTURE] Israeli Digital Rights NPO -- Zvi Devir

Nadav Har'El nyh at math.technion.ac.il
Mon Oct 29 01:53:46 MSK 2012

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012, Ori Idan wrote about "Re: [Haifux] [HAIFUX LECTURE] Israeli Digital Rights NPO -- Zvi Devir":
> The initial of the name is somewhat confusing.
> We usually see DRM in the sense if Digital Rights Management which is
> something that as I understand is something that this movement is against
> :-)

Maybe it will become easier if you think of "DRM" as "Digital
Restrictions Management", and "Digital Rights" as the opposite of
"Digital Restrictions".

After all, ignoring newspeak, DRM schemes like the DVD CSS were never
about managing the "rights" of the content owners: VHS producers never
had the "right" to force you to watch advertisements, or a "right" to prevent
you from brining videos you bought in the U.S. into Israel. No, they wanted
to be able to impose new "restrictions" on the buyers on the way they
use (*not* copy) the content, so they invented DRM.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |     Monday, Oct 29 2012, 13 Heshvan 5773