[Haifux] New server for haifux.org.

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Sun Jan 13 20:05:38 MSK 2013

Hello all,

haifux.org has now moved to a new server, which is unrelated to
Hamakor's machine. This affects both the web site and the mailing list.

Thanks to Adir for his help with this transition. As a side note,
Hamakor's server has also moved (hamakor.org.il in particular), but to
another (physical) machine.

As always, these transitions tend to come with a few glitches. Please
inform me personally if you run into something odd.

Hebrew issues will be solved over the next few days. After that, alerts
are welcome.

There are two issues I could get some help with:

(1) For some reason, the server's firewall doesn't handle --state
RELATED, ESTABLISHED properly. In fact, this rule doesn't catch any
input packets at all, even when the server initiates a connection! In
particular, it doesn't let through answers to its own DNS queries (port
53) on UDP, which is elementary. The server is an openVZ VPS running
CentOS 5.6. Ideas?

(2) I've noted that administrative messages from mailman (the mailing
list manager), e.g. subscription confirmation messages, go to Gmail's
spam folder. The rDNS for haifux.org is set up properly, and still. From
what I understand, the mailing list messages themselves go by fine. Any
comments? Insights? I have reasons to believe this is a widespread
issue, but how is it solved?

Thanks for your patience.

    Eli

--