[Haifux] [Job Offer] Heterogeneous Computing research-oriented positions: DBMS Architect, Execution Framework Developer

Eyal Rozenberg eyalroz at technion.ac.il
Tue Sep 24 21:14:11 MSD 2013

(Brief summary: 2 offers, for full positions; the specifics are at the
end of the message after the long introduction)

Hello Haifux,,

I haven't posted in quite a long while, and haven't been to lectures for
a while too. In fact, I'm not living in Haifa right now, woe is me... :-(

Anyway, I've begun to work for a company called Toga Networks, which
constitutes a part of the research wing of the Chinese company Hua Wei
(look it up; 160k+ employees, $35+ billon annual revenue - it's big).

Some media links:
http://is.gd/C0FU20
http://www.calcalist.co.il/internet/articles/0,7340,L-3571976,00.html
(no, it's not double pay and you don't get a signing bonus)
http://is.gd/oDgW9v

Toga does all sorts of things, including hardware and chip design, but
I've joined a recently-formed team which has started work on
Heterogeneous Compting: Multiple GPU and CPU environments, on single
machines and later on clusters, and with more exotic hardware (FPGAs,
Xeon Phi). Our initial applicative focus for such an environment is
database acceleration.

Our work is, on the one hand, commercial and with planned use in Hua Wei
projects, but on the other hand intended to develop more generally
applicable technology, hopefully resuting eventually in things like
contributions to FOSS projects, article publications, contributions to
standardization processes, and interactions with academia. ... that's
the way I would like to see things, but you could also say it's a group
whose top priority is advancing next-gen Hua Wei commercial
closed-source products and writing patents. The team's composition and
individual preferences will determine the balance between these two poles.

Our development work is on Linux, to some extent on plain vanilla
workstations, and over time doing more work on more customized/'exotic'
hardware including Huawei's in-house experimental boxes. We use FOSS
tools and platforms a lot, not just the OS - but there are some things
not available as FOSS, e.g. OpenCL and CUDA libraries and drivers.

Our team has several PhDs and extensively experienced engineers; so,
we're kind of picky about hiring. However, the requirements are not set
in stone: General (provable) abilities and experience are more important
that completing the 'checklist'. Also, specific team members' view of
the requirements are not exactly the same as what you'll read below; and
since we are a somewhat atypical team, atypical candidates might well be
considered.

Some more bits of info:
- The pay is relatively good (at least, I got a pay raise coming here; I
don't have information about what others are getting).
- We work 9-hour workdays including lunch break, not your
crazy-release-schedule work-into-the-night place.
- We are an ethnically, religiously and politically diverse team; we're
not gender-diverse at the moment, though.
- The average age of Toga R&D employees is higher than most Israeli
hi-tech companies.
- The female/male ratio is worse than most other hi-tech firms I've
known; hopefully this will improve somehow.
- The team works locally, i.e. don't expect frequent visits to China;
but do expect to go there, say, I dunno, maybe once a year or something.
- Our team has 4 out 5 members from the Haifa/Yokne'am area... if you're
daunted by the fact that Toga is at Hod Hasharon, there are expected
ameliorations of this fact.

For more details, you're welcome to contact me by email or phone at
052-3869130.

Feel free to pass this on to friends who might be interested.

Eyal

1. DBMS / Data Warehouse System Architect

- Education: B.Sc. in CS or EE; Ph.D. or M.Sc. in CS is an advantage.

Requirements
- At least 5 years of software development
- Intimate familiarity and experience with the following technologies:
databases, data warehouse,  OLAP&OLTP, and distributed systems.
- Experience with CPU-GPU grid solutions.
- Excellent C/C++ programming skills
- Development experience in Linux environments

Qualifications
- Proven sound knowledge of core computer science principles in the
above fields,
- Ability to work in an international team of professionals
- Ability to lead small teams
- Ability to see the big picture and conceive a high-level architecture

2. Heterogeneous Computation Execution Framework Developer

- Education: B.Sc. in CS or EE; Ph.D. or M.Sc. in CS is an advantage.

Requirements
- At least 5 years of software development
- Intimate familiarity and experience with the following technologies:
Task/process/thread scheduling mechanisms, Resource
management/marshalling, distributed/cluster systems, high-performance
computing