[Haifux] [HAIFUX LECTURE] Linux Containers and the future cloud -- Rami Rosen

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Sat Mar 15 18:55:49 IST 2014

On Monday, March 17th at 18:30, Haifux will gather to hear a talk by
Rami Rosen:

    Linux Containers and the future cloud

Abstract

This lecture is a sequel to the "Resource Management in Linux" lecture,
given in Haifux in May 2013 (see: http://haifux.org/lectures/299/, audio
recording available)

Lightweight process virtualization is a virtualization technology which
exists for many years, in Linux and in other OSs, and which matured
significantly in the recent year. Linux-based containers are based on
this technology. In this lecture, I will discuss the Linux kernel
infrastructure for Linux-based containers as well as several interesting
userspace projects which use this technology.

Following is a list of the main topics which will be discussed:

* Namespaces and Cgroups - the building blocks of containers.
* A Short survery of Linux container projects (open source and proprietary).
   * The LXC project:
   * LXC containers
   * LXC management
* Docker - the Open Source containers engine project.
* CRIU (Chekpoint/Restore in userspace)

and more.

We meet in Taub building, room 6. For instructions see:
http://www.haifux.org/where.html

Attendance is free, and you are all invited!

Future lectures:

There are no scheduled lectures. Do YOU want to hold a talk?

We are always interested in hearing your talks and ideas. If you wish to
give a talk, hold a discussion, or just plan some event haifux might be
interested in, please contact us at webmaster at haifux.org

--
Web: http://www.billauer.co.il