What's In A SAN?
Originally written by
- A SAN is a network, much like the Internet is a network.
- Except that SANS were meant for LANs
- And SANs allow hosts to talk to.... disks (or more likely, disk arrays,
RAIDs, JBODs (Just a Bunch Of Disks) and similar beasts.
- Mind you - a RAID can be a small thing costing 10K$, or a large beast
costing several 100K$.
- Most SANs employ the Fiber-Channel protocol, over fiber-optic links
(1Gbps, 2Gbps, lately also 4Gbps)...
- ...thought someone from IBM will tell you that iSCSI is the wave of
- ...and the real weirdos will say that Infiniband is king!