The first step - learning ACE
Originally written by
- Since ACE was our abstraction layer, (almost) everyone had to learn
how to use ACE. ACE has a very good book that serves as an intro,
and from there on - we used the examples and test programs of ACE.
- CORBA was a little tougher - so we bought what I knew to be the only
book about CORBA that actually teaches CORBA programming. Since we didn't
need it too often, one (used) copy was bought.
- Initially, we were asked to "wrap ACE up, in case we want to replace
it one day". This line of thinking comes mostly from the proprietary
world (we might want to use a different product one day), or from
the portability-frightened world (what if we need to port it to
a platform where this product does not exist? hmm???).
- ACE being what it is (a useful portability wrapper with a lot of extra
functionality) - it does not lend itself to wrapping (how do you wrap
- It took a bit to get this extra-wrapping requirement off our backs...