Writing The Process Manager
Originally written by
- In a previous project I worked on, we had a team write an
overly-sophisticated process manager.
- I took some of its requirements and said "we need this, only we'll
write it in 1 month with one person, instead of half a year with 3+
programmers". How come? because of lessons learned, and because
we'll only do the really necessary parts.
- What a process manager basically does is:
- Load a list of processes in a defined order, with configurable
parameters and configurable environment (working directory,
- Monitor these processes (both on the OS Level, and on the
- In case a process crashes - it performs a configurable recovery
- It allows shutting the system down in a convenient manner.