The Local Source Oracle
Originally written by
- Since the other programmers were not used to working with FOSS tools,
I served as the local oracle.
- When one of the programmers ran into a problem with one of our FOSS tools,
I started reading the source-code and supply the answer.
- This could take anywhere between 5 minutes to 2 days.
- Which means that overall, the support level they got was quite better then
the support they got from companies with good support.
- One of them kept whining about this situation - apparently, being
dependent on people you know is harder then being dependent on people you
only talked to via the phone (or via e-mail).
- It is the same reason why programmers never trust the software their
own company creates - it's easier to trust a life-support system when you
are not aware of the bugs that QA found and were not fixed...