Originally written by
- Physical Volume (PV) - A disk (or any block device).
- UUID - A unique ID assigned to a physical volume by the LVM sub-system.
The UUID is stored on the physical volume (as the last signature).
- Volume Group (VG) - A set of physical volumes.
- Physical Extent (PE) - The minimal chunk on a physical volume that is
managed by LVM.
- Logical Volume (LV) - A "virtual" block device, that is created by LVM
on some volume group. The logical volume is mapped to a list of
physical extents, that may reside on any of the volumes in a single volume
- Snapshot - A (logical) freeze of a logical volume at some point in time.
enables us to revert changes made to a logical volume since the
snapshot was taken.