Alice, Bob And Their Race To Disk-Haven
Note: most images in these slides are courtesy of Liam Quin's "Alice adventures in wonderland" and
his Through the looking glass pages.
Originally written by
- Alice is a file-system write request.
- Bob is a raw-device write request.
- They both want to get to the haven of the disk drive - and fast...
- ...and yet not too fast - not if their friends are coming soon!
- Let us follow their journey through Linux's file systems...
- ...page caches, block devices, elevators and other constructions.
- Let us also discuss how to tune their journey, where we can.