Alice and Bob go picking an elevator
Originally written by
- Once there was a single type of elevator in the Linux "market".
- Then several types of elevators were developed - but you had to choose
only one for the entire system - as a kernel boot parameter.
- And later on, a possibility was added to change the elevator per block
device, during normal operation.
- Linux elevators differ mostly in:
- how they prioritize I/O requests
- how aggressive they are in attempts to merge requests
- Let us send Alice and Bob to the market, to pick an elevator.