File Access Permissions - Who may access?
Originally written by
- Access Permissions are split into 3: for the User-owner, the Group-owner
and for "others".
- If the User accessing the File is the User-owner of the File, only the
"User-owner" permissions are checked.
- Thus, a File with permissions for 'others' but no permissions for
'User-owner' - won't allow the User-owner to access it...
- ...But as we said, the User-owner may always change the permissions of
the File, so she can give herself access to the File, and then
access the File.
- A similar check is performed if the User accessing the File, belongs to
the Group-owner of the File (but is not the User-owner of the File).