'read' Permission To A Selected Group Of Users, On A File
Originally written by
- Create a File with 'read' access to a selected Group of Users:
- Ask the system administrator to create a new Group containing this
list of Users.
Note: We must be part of the Group, in order to be allowed to
turn it into the Group-owner of the File.
- Make the new Group be the Group-owner of the File:
chgrp <group_name> <file_name>
- Give 'read' access to "Group-owner":
chmod g+r <file_name>
- make sure "others" don't have 'read' access to this File:
chmod o-r <file_name>
- Give 'x' access to our home Directory, so the Users will be able to
reach for the File under it:
chmod a+x ~
- Note: if the File is in a sub-Directory under our home
Directory, we must give 'x' access to all the Directories along
the way to this File.