The /lib/modules Directory
Originally written by
- Contains the Modules for the different Kernel versions we have installed.
- One directory per Kernel, named after the Kernel's version number.
- Modules are split into directories, based on categories:
- pcmcia - PCMCIA Drivers, for laptops.
- kernel/net - network-related Modules
(firewall, extra protocols support, etc.)
- kernel/drivers - Drivers for various types of
Hardware (including network
- kernel/fs - file-systems support (ext3,
- kernel/arch - Architecture-specific support
(e.g. Drivers to handle features of a
a specific CPU or motherboard).