The /dev directory
Originally written by
- The standard location for all Device files in the system...
- ...But one can create Device files in other directories (e.g.
in RedHat's installation process, the Device files for the hard disks
are created in the /tmp directory).
- Examples of conventional file names:
- hda - first (a) IDE Device (hard disk, CDROM).
- hdb3 - 3rd (3) partition of second (b) IDE
Device (must be a hard disk. CDROMs
have no partitions).
- ttyS0 - first serial port ("COM1").
- sda1 - 1st (1) partition of first (a) SCSI
Device (hard-disk, an emulated SCSI
- lp0 - first parallel port (LPT1).