[Haifux] sshfs in OpenVZ hosting?

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Mon May 26 22:19:09 IDT 2014

Hi all,

Unfortunately, I need to move haifux.org again to a new hosting provider
soon. I've signed up to a service which offers 3 GB of SSD space + 20 GB
"regular disk storage". It turns out that these 20 GB run through sshfs.

Haifux' current site hits the 3 GB exactly, so at least some of the
site's material will need to reside on the sshfs mount. My immediate
reaction was to claim the money back guarantee, but is there really a
reason for it? Does anyone here have any experience to share with sshfs
mounts?

It seems like the disk I/O is pretty slow on the sshfs mount (~ 5 MB/s),
but should this be a real concern? I mean, when would that be an issue?

And yes, this is dirt cheap hosting (~$3/month). But that's not the
point right now.

And BTW, the SSD I/O was ~400 MB/s for write and 6.5 GB/s for read.

Any insights? You will all suffer if I get this wrong... ;)

Thanks,

    Eli

--
Web: http://www.billauer.co.il