A Word About Software Licenses
Originally written by
- As a conscious user of FOSS, I wanted to make sure that all software
we use - allows us to do so.
- Thus, we limited ourselves to libraries with licenses such as
the LGPL (and then we made sure to dynamically-link with them), BSD,
X11 and similar.
- It is easy to be tempted to use some GPL library in a manner
that is not allowed - one should make sure to read the licenses and
develop awareness to various implications (e.g. what constitutes
- In doing this, my best guide was "prior art" - if I knew that some
software has a license that is considered "understood", or if it is
being used by large companies (which employ good lawyers especially
for these purposes) - I can generally trust them.
- More on this - in our epilog...