Testing On A WAN Without A WAN
Originally written by
- Writing for a WAN is different then writing for a LAN. The TCP stack is
the same - the communications conditions are not.
- NIST Net - a free-software patch to the linux kernel adds capabilities of
WAN simulation (delay packets, reduce bandwidth and add random packet
- Very poor documentation, and some annoying bugs - but for a product that
worthy - we learned how to work around these issues.
- Once it is set up and you've learned how to use it - changing the
configuration is very simple.
- It required a dedicated host, but a single host can simulate several
WANs, so there was no need for an extra host per developer.