The Little ACE That Could
Originally written by
- For the communications library there was no doubt - ACE.
- ACE (Adaptive Communications Environment) also happens to support
OS-portability APIs, portable multi-threading APIs, portable
multi-processes APIs, etc.
- For the higher-level communications that did not need too much control
(i.e. did not run across a WAN) - we wanted CORBA, and so TAO (The ACE
ORB) was the natural choice.
- Having (good) prior experience with both of them couldn't hurt either ;)
- For WAN communications, CORBA was not tweak-able enough (at least not
without a high learning-curve), and thus we
settled for direct use of ACE for the WAN link (as well as the
communications with workstations in the offices, and servers in the