Originally written by
- A User may only control processes running on behalf of this User...
- ...Except when the User is "root" - which can control any process
running on the system...
- ...Assuming this process is not stuck in a very "stuck" state.
- In order kill a process with a given pid (=process ID):
- In order kill a "stubborn" process (when a normal kill fails to kill
kill -9 <pid>
- In order to temporarily suspend a given process:
kill -STOP <pid>
- In order to resume a suspended process:
kill -CONT <pid>